2nd Lt. Hiroo Onoda

Japanese Reenactment Society forum. run by Tanaka.
http://groups.msn.com/WW2J-R-A/

Moderator: Tanaka

Tanaka

2nd Lt. Hiroo Onoda

Post by Tanaka »

Background
Born in the town of Kainan, Japan in 1922 and when he turned seventeen, he went to work for a trading company in China. In May of 1942, Onoda was drafted into the Japanese Army. Unlike most soldiers, he attended a school that trained men for guerilla warfare.

Assignment to Lubang Island, Philippines
On December 26, 1944 (age 23), Hiroo Onoda was sent to the small island of Lubang Island, approximately seventy-five miles southwest of Manila in the Philippines. Shortly after Americans landed, all but four of the Japanese soldiers had either died or surrendered. Hiroo Onda was also with three other holdouts, who all died over the decades: Private Yuichi Akatsu, Corporal Shoichi Shimada (died 1954), Private Kinshichi Kozuka (died 1972).

Circumstances of His Surrender
Despite the efforts of the Philippine Army, letters and newspapers left for them, radio broadcasts, and even a plea from Onoda's brother, he did not belive the war was over. On February 20, 1974, Onoda encountered a young Japanese university dropout named Norio Suzuki who was traveling the wold and told his friends that he was “going to look for Lieutenant Onoda, a panda, and the abominable snowman, in that order. The two became friends, but Onoda said that he was waiting for orders from one of his commanders. On March 9, 1974, Onoda went to an agreed upon place and found a note that had been left by Suzuki. Suzuki had brought along Onoda’s one-time superior commander, Major Taniguchi, who delivered the oral orders for Onoda to surrender. Intelligence Officer 2nd Lt. Hiroo Onada emerged from the jungle of Lubang Island with his .25 caliber rifle, 500 rounds of ammunition and several hand grenades. He sureendered 29 years after Japan's formal surrender, and 15 years after being declared legally dead in Japan. When he accepted that the war was over, he wept openly.

Afterwards
He returned to Japan to receive a hero’s welcome, and world media attention, and was hounded by the curious public everywhere he went. He was unable to adapt to modern life in Japan, but wrote his memories of survival in "No Surrender: My Thirty Year War" After publication, he moved to Brazil to raise cattle. He revisited Lubang island in 1996, and still alive today. He then married a Japanese woman and moved back to Japan to run a nature camp for kids.

dieter

Post by dieter »

i'v read his book, it really is a fascinating story.

ryan, i still have that copy, that i meant to post to you. if you like i will try and remember to bring it to the abbey show in may.
ein volk, ein reich, ein ME????

schuetze Dieter Kuemmel
65ste nachrichtan abteilung / 85ste Gebirgsjager regt
(aka Scott Davies, aka oi you! yeah you!)
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

yeah that would be great mate, thanks :D :D :D
Shergar

excellent

Post by Shergar »

excellent research yet again from the japanese imperial republic of cornwall ,
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

cheers mate :D
dieter

Post by dieter »

will make a poin to remember it :D

scott
ein volk, ein reich, ein ME????

schuetze Dieter Kuemmel
65ste nachrichtan abteilung / 85ste Gebirgsjager regt
(aka Scott Davies, aka oi you! yeah you!)

Return to “Japanese Discussion”