Anorak Questions

Moderator: les hearn

Joker

Anorak Questions

Post by Joker »

I'm in the process of turning a couple of these Swedish Snow Smocks -
swedish.smock.jpg
swedish.smock.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
- into (hopefully) passable versions of the 2-pocket Anoraks (one I'll dye grey, the other tan/khaki). The intention is to remove the lower pockets, sew a pleat into the centre (making them a little narrower) and by then cutting the pocket flaps down on either side, ending up with single-button scalloped pocket flaps over pleated pockets, resewn on at chest height.

Having read the threads on here and studied the pics as best as can be seen >

* What buttons should be on the converted 'anoraks' - currently the smocks have tin dish type buttons - should they be replaced by grey/brown 'plastic' buttons ?
* Were the lower front pockets purely on the civilian-type smocks?
* Were the rear pockets only on the 3-pocket anoraks ?

I know that the smocks/anoraks won't look 'perfect' (there does seem to be some latitude, due to the various types used) but I'd like them to look reasonably believeable if possible.

Also, who was actually issued with the 2-pocket anoraks - GJ obviously, FJ have been mentioned (only post-Cassino ??) - anybody else ?
mario33

Re: Anorak Questions

Post by mario33 »

Joker wrote:Also, who was actually issued with the 2-pocket anoraks - GJ obviously, FJ have been mentioned (only post-Cassino ??) - anybody else ?
I would say - its safe enough to use them for GJ only and only in 1938-40 period. I would dare to say that those were rare and never made it to other units. Only ppl recruited from real mountaineers felt they would really need them. In fact those were either converted from civilian ones or inherited from Austrian mountain units. Maybe some isolated Jager (light infantry) units used them but I seriously doubt that (didnt see any evidence or photo as proof).
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Joker

Re: Anorak Questions

Post by Joker »

Thanks for the reply :)

Tbh, I think you're right. FJ do seem to have been issued anoraks (to suit the theatre) but all the pics that I've seen/found so far have been the later 3-pocket version sadly.

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”