Panzer Lehr Uniform

Moderator: Feldjager

Hoffman Grink

Re: Panzer Lehr Uniform

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I stand corrected Herr Meyer - Simon Summerville - A name from the past - One of the fallen - I wonder if they will ever put us on monuments????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes - I forgot to say Panzer Lehr are now independent and part of the AFRA affiliation network. To be seen at Bushey Hall this coming weekend too I believe. 8)
Fritz bayerlein

Post by Fritz bayerlein »

Simon Summerville god bless him showed me the error of my ways and started me on the road to enlightenment. :lol:
When Simon left Kp1 Panzer lehr ceased to exist, I took it on and ressurected it like a pheonix from the flames. :)
[130] Panzer Lehr reg 902 Unit Leader
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

Ok point well taken. It was not my intention to insult any members of PL or other Elite units for that matter. PL is an awesome unit to portray. I realize that our personal interest in a particular division, regiment, or branch of service will naturally draw us to recreate that unit. I get that.
Regardless of what unit is portrayed, it is important to want to represent it in the most authentic way. Research is vital to achieving that. Not taking the " This is good enough" or "They would have used it if they had it " mindset. I'm sure we all know which units are the best ones and which ones are not. Reenactors that buy on the "cheap" or "cut corners" on their kit just don't rate high in my book. That was my point.
I've reenacted Canadian, German & US and have observed that a large portion of reenactors are magnets to Elite kits. SAS, Paras, Commandos, US Airborne, Rangers, SS, Fallschrimjagers are more the norm than regular GI's, Tommy's or Landsers (at least in the States). Although it appears that just plain 'ol Infantry units are finally on the rise.
Any unit, Regular or Elite, as long as portrayed authentically is the best way to pay respect to the men who served in that unit.
BTW- I think the PL wrap and shoulderboards are quite cool! :)
PanzerMart

Post by PanzerMart »

Stigroadie wrote:You could meet half way? Cosby in September?
Have you found a good supplier for the 'L' embroidered shoulder boards? The Epic ones are the old dark green colour, I'd prefer some field grey ones.
Sean we have a guy in the group who gets the shoulder boards in and embroiders the L on the board himself (he has an embroidered badge clothing business)
If you need a set done I can get you his info you just need to send the boards you want done to him and specify the shade of green for the L that would suit you, normally he tries to match the to the piping as close as is possible.
Never Surrender. Your Honour lies in victory or death
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

That is a handy man to know?
stefan

Post by stefan »

mauser98 put
Regardless of what unit is portrayed, it is important to want to represent it in the most authentic way. Research is vital to achieving that. Not taking the " This is good enough" or "They would have used it if they had it " mindset. I'm sure we all know which units are the best ones and which ones are not. Reenactors that buy on the "cheap" or "cut corners" on their kit just don't rate high in my book. That was my point.
totally agree with that point,no matter what you portray authenticity is the only target to strive for and research is about the best way to achieve this and books are a plenty when it comes to the elite units which does make it harder to know the background of lesser units
but passion for the subject will reap results :D

I do find it strange when people choose a group to join and portray but know virtually nothing about said unit and uniform though :shock:
andy d

Post by andy d »

I do find it strange when people choose a group to join and portray but know virtually nothing about said unit and uniform though :shock:[/quote]

Stefan,
not sure where/to whom you are referring.
Could you elaborate?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

andy d wrote:I do find it strange when people choose a group to join and portray but know virtually nothing about said unit and uniform though :shock:
Stefan,
not sure where/to whom you are referring.
Could you elaborate?[/quote]
I think that was a general sweeping statement sir and not aimed at any one taking part in this topic
ImageImageImageImageImage
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

Stefan, exactly!
People reenact for many reasons. Luckily most reenactors are true military historians. For some it's because of their interest/passion for uniforms, weapons, equipment, tactics, unit histories etc. It is these members that bring great diverse knowledge to a unit. Unfortunately some join simply to "Play Army" and shoot their weapons and could care less about authenticity or history for that matter. They usually don't last very long in the hobby but those who do are an unfortunate side effect.
Getting back to Panzer Lehr. It's good to see units taking care of the small details (like having "L's" embroidered on their shoulderboards). It's these details that show they are serious. I'm curious to hear more research on the it's uniforms.
Keep it coming!
mauser98
stefan

Post by stefan »

I do find it strange when people choose a group to join and portray but know virtually nothing about said unit and uniform though
my own quote, yes its more a sweeping statement based on 10 years of seeing people dip in and dip out of the hobby with very
little knowledge of what they portray ,no individual names as such more an observation of several personalities I have met, to be fair
the vast majority do know their onions so to speak but as you say mauser98 maybe its just to play soldiers for a while which explains
why they don't stay around to long,having said that there are still some on the scene I see from time to time ,not sure if this is the case with
the Allied reenactors as much but I suppose its bound to reflect the Axis trends also

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”