FJR6 questions

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Stigroadie

FJR6 questions

Post by Stigroadie »

Just come across a series of photos of FJR6 on exercise in France. Clearly not combat as the MG34 crews all carry wooden bullet blanks.
There seem to be about an even mix of plain painted, netted and covered helmets. Some have covers and nets.
Plenty of knee and elbow pads in use.
All MG seem to be MG34.
70% use of Y straps.
Plain and splinter bandolieer.
All seem to have splinter smocks.
Not one camo painted or textured helmet.
I'm sure the FJR fans are aware of these pics. Any idea where and when they were taken?
Ref; Armes Militaria magazine Hors-Serie no.54 Paras sur la Normandie
carentan

Re: FJR6 questions

Post by carentan »

Can you scan and post the pic?
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

And breach copyright?
erm possibly... will be later this week as I'm about to go away for a day or two.
carentan

Post by carentan »

Is it the one where there are 3 or 4 lined up with MG's on ground in front with what looks like long grass foliage in the background?...Best description I can give. Where the photos attributed to be found and brought back by a Vet?
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

.Where the photos attributed to be found and brought back by a Vet?
Not as far as I read. There are a number of shots Inc. One with a Heer horch and one with a Heer armoured car, some with troops around some carts. Kit looks very new ESP. Helmets and smocks. Text (in French) hints at Brittany or Normandy as site for exercise.
carentan

Post by carentan »

Not sure then.

Is your question also covering to what extent did or didn't FJR6 camo their helmets or is that not relevant to your thread?

Cheers
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

It's all relevant I think? These pics predate the Normandy invasion so it sheds a little light on when they might have camoed helmets. Another thread was questioning the use of knee and elbow pads. These show their use in what I guess is spring '44, at least on exercise.
carentan

Post by carentan »

I haven't read at what date they started applying the camo, but it would have been pre D-Day. The weapons, webbing and helmets found from the Carentan area suggest this must have been the case. Although at what level it was done I don't know, kompanie, section? There are some nice confirmed FJR6 photos from training with about 90% of the lids camo and even a few DD lids on top of chutes.

They would have had access to knee pads as all jump equipment was in France with them. They were with the 91st Luftlande who were supporting them should a jump operation arise, even though that scenario was by now unlikely. Still, they had been earmarked for a combat jump into Scandinavia (?) I wonder if the regimental stores would have restricted access to such items outside of exercises for fear that they would be tossed into the hedgerows? What do you think.

Cheers
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Are they the ones used in the Chezette book?

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”