Windjacke origins?

Moderator: les hearn

FtrPlt

Windjacke origins?

Post by FtrPlt »

Part of my gebirgsjäger collection includes Austrian items -- Kaiserjäger thru today. In looking through some photos in one of my reference books (Die Uniformen de österreichischen Bundesherres 1918-1938, by Urrisk) and noticed very similar versions of the Windjacke and Windhosen in use by the Bundesheer, circa 1930s. I'm now curious if this became a Wehrmacht issue item before or after the Anschluß??

Other than some very minor differences (4-button front and no pocket pleats), it looks very similar to the WH model.

photo credit: Rolf Urrisk

Last edited by FtrPlt on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuri

Re: Windjacke origins?

Post by Yuri »

Below are photos of "polizei" type also named "austrian". Main difference are only 5 buttons and no middle-pockets.

...and few shots of some tournament held at Kitzbühel before the war according to Wiki. Show usage of such type of tunics in field:

P.S. Im very interested in sweater pictures shown partially in Yours post. Would it be possible to show it as a whole with kopfhaube on the left i guess?? Many thanks in advance.
War, war never changes...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Updated the image to show the sweater and other items on the page. Also adding this photo from the book showing the Bundesheer Windjacke in use.

I need to research further. Possibly this style of jacket was in use in WW1?

Heeresbergführer

Post by Heeresbergführer »

The Gebirgsjäger Windjacke, Bergmütze and other items were derived from Austrian items developed during 1914-18. Several different patterns of the Windjacke were used in the Reichwehr.

Berg Heil,

Papa
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Grabenkater

Post by Grabenkater »

I believe it to be of a fashionable cut of the time period. I have a late 1930's Swiss Gebirgsgrenadier tunic and its cut in a very similar cut as the German Windjacke. The major difference is the Swiss version is made entirely from wool and has no hand warming pockets.
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Grabenkater wrote:I believe it to be of a fashionable cut of the time period. I have a late 1930's Swiss Gebirgsgrenadier tunic and its cut in a very similar cut as the German Windjacke. The major difference is the Swiss version is made entirely from wool and has no hand warming pockets.
This photo cited as being Reichwehr, circa late 1920s. Photo credit: JohnnyB, WAF

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”