DAK white silk scarves and use thereof?

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Freebooter

DAK white silk scarves and use thereof?

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
I have a couple of questions:
1. know that the DAK troops were issued neckties with their shirts to wear under their tunics, etc.. But I have read about and seen mostly pics of DAK soldiers with nothing under their tunic other than those white silk scarves showing. Does anyone know where you can get these for reenacting and Living History purposes?
2. Also, although a lot of pics showing DAK soldiers wearing their shorts shows them with the tropical shirt. But I have also seen some pics of them wearing their tunic with the shorts. Was that the norm? Actually I have seen pics showing DAK personel wearing an assortment of uniforms and parts all mixed up. No two men in the pic wearing the same thing. I understand that discipline or uniformity was somewhat lax in Afrika as compared to the Eurpean theatre troops, but did DAK troops just wear what they wanted to in any sort of combination? I am putting together a DAK outfit and want to be correct if and when I put it on for some Living History or what have you.
Thanks,
Dave
One Shot, One Kill!
West-Front

Re: DAK white silk scarves and use thereof?

Post by West-Front »

Couple of images
Attachments
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-782-0023-09A%2C_Nordafrika%2C_Gruppe_Soldaten_auf_Fahrzeug.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-782-0023-09A%2C_Nordafrika%2C_Gruppe_Soldaten_auf_Fahrzeug.jpg (64.59 KiB) Viewed 8435 times
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-784-0223-05%2C_Nordafrika%2C_deutsche_Offiziere.jpg
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-784-0223-05%2C_Nordafrika%2C_deutsche_Offiziere.jpg (65.42 KiB) Viewed 8435 times
mario33

Post by mario33 »

I would try to help from what I've read. I'll do it in reverse order.

German Army was possibly the most formalised of them all during the 2ww. Uniform rules were complex and somehow often just not suited for the situation. Usually frontline life 'corrected' those problems 'in situ'. During official situations, rules were kept possibly to the max, while during active duty not so much ;)

Therefore, in Africa, most Germans soon realised that their M40 'topical' uniforms are too thick for the climate. Soon they discovered, it was better to use Italian sahariana, British shorts, French shirts etc. Problems with supply added to that.

In the field wearing full official gear was highly unlikely, including necktie, which was the first thing to be thrown away.

Furthermore, most of the officers still had much bigger problems than making uniform checks...

As far as scarves are concerned.. Dont believe in what you see at first sight :) Most of those are just rags - made from whatever they could find. They were used to prevent dust and sand to get onto every inch of your face, mouth, ears, nose etc... I've seen white (of course dirty ;) ), grey, tan, olive etc... While reenacting, my own unit uses white kitchen towels (dirty again ;) )

And now to your question about reenactment. We reenact rules first, exceptions later, right ? I presume you would be perfectly ok with regulatory set, accompanied with some minor 'field details' (for which you would have period photo evidence at hand, just in case of 'uniform check' ;) )
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Thanks y'all,
Mario, where do you live or should I say where is your unit located. I wish there was a DAK unit near me that I could join even if I could not reeanact that much. I do love displays and LHs.
Dave
Alabama
One Shot, One Kill!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Unfortunately, my own unit is located very much far from you kamerad, across the Big Pond + 2000 km away ;) Its Poland, Central Europe. We are called 'Kampfgruppe Edelweiss' and you can find us on this forum. We mostly reenact GJ units, also in tropical uiniforms (for North Africa or Italy). I also have my own personal interest in 'Mediterranean Sea' campaigns, mostly in 'special operations' - SvB288, Brandenburgers and of the 'other side' - LRDG, SAS, Popski's, Commando, Rangers' etc. I am currently working on SvB288 impression.

Image Image

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello Mario,
Neat pics. You and I are about the same size. I just got my tunic and cap and they don't fit. I should have filled out the size chart instead of ordering what I "thought" was my size. But I might can have it altered.

Yep, we are a long ways apart. There are DAK units here in the U.S., but far off from me.
Later,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

I just used a piece of natural linen. Been around since the Roman times so it's not inconceivable that it could be used. Looks good, feels good:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bG ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aW ... directlink

With some effects:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mF ... directlink
holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

I just used a piece of natural linen. Been around since the Roman times so it's not inconceivable that it could be used. Looks good, feels good:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/aW ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/C_ ... directlink

With some effects added:
Attachments
holz.jpg
holz.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 8280 times
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all again,
Neat pic Holz21! I love that DAK uniform. I especially love those DAK lowboots but could not find any in my size so I had to order regular German army lowboots. They are from ATF and are brown roughside out. I have read that by '42 and '43 some of the troops sent to Afrka were wearing their Euro theater stuff, or a mixture there of. My A-Frame, suspenders, bayonet frog, E-Tool carrier and belt are DAK canvas and my messkit and helmet are painted DAK colors, the mustard sand. My breadbag is a sort of greenish brownish and my wool canteen cover is brown. I have yet to paint my gasmask canister and my little assault pack is greenish instead of DAK colors and my zeltbahn and pole/case are splinter pattern cammo.

I wish I had've gotten everything in DAK colors, especially the Zeltbahn. But I have no idea where I could find one in DAK colors. But I have this one so I will have to make do. My helmet, also painted mustard sand or whatever you call it, is a M-42 model. So with my mixed bag of gear, boots, etc, and that helmet I reckon I would portray a more later comer to the Afrika. I should have joined a DAK reenactment unit, no matter how far away, and used there guidelines to outfit my self so I would be correct. But I can seldom go anywhere due to my work schedule so I just have to enjoy myself at home.
Later,
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

AFAIK Germans produced no sand-coloured zeltbahns, normal splitter ones were used frequently.

Some ppl say they saw some on pictures but those were some captured French zeltbahns being used by the Germans, especially in Tunisia. They were sand yellow and not triangle but square.

Some RAD grey square zeltbahns were also used (brought to Africa by suport units).

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

holz21pz

Post by holz21pz »

Agreed. No German "issue" tan zelts. Since we usually portray Tunisia 43 (so all the units can participate) the tan zelts have become acceptable, however you are correct, they should be square and probably used in less frequency. It's a reenactor-ism that most have learned to live with. I'm hoping that we start having more than one North Afrika event a year. They are such a nice change from the usual post Normandy stuff.

My personal favorite from the event:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qz ... directlink

Changed it to a direct link. Picasaweb is not reliable as a photo host for some reason.
Last edited by holz21pz on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Freebooter

Post by Freebooter »

Hello all,
Again, that is a neat pic!! How many DAK reenactors are here and what is and where are you and your unit/s located? I am in Alabama. Do any of you post on the Afrikakorps@yahoo.com list?
Later
Freebooter
One Shot, One Kill!
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I've never seen an original splinter pattern zelt pole case either. 99.99% of the ones sold are Swiss and a different size and pattern to the German ones.
Whilst not impossible I doubt very much that the DAK would be carrying Swiss kit. It is possible that there were field made splinter ones but I would imagine they would be to the German pattern.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Freebooter wrote:Hello all,
Again, that is a neat pic!! How many DAK reenactors are here and what is and where are you and your unit/s located? I am in Alabama. Do any of you post on the Afrikakorps@yahoo.com list?
Later
Freebooter
I signed up a few months ago, but never got activated :S
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

For a neck-scarf I personally use a modern British army surplus cotton scarf with my various uniforms. It's a pinky-tan colour and looks the part.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”