WWII german tattoos

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
dbloge

WWII german tattoos

Post by dbloge »

Does anyone have any info about tattoos during the TR era?........BESIDES the SS blood type and the concentration camp inmates?........i suppose that tattoos were pretty rare to begin with.........in sure some KM soldats had them being stationed on port towns.......what were the tattoos of?........where were they on the body?.........anybody have any pics of them?

thanks in advance,

Dieter
Maus_Spain

Re: WWII german tattoos

Post by Maus_Spain »

I,m a tattoo artist and the only thing i can say is that to search tattoos of Herbert Hoffmann a famous german tattoo artist who was born in 1919 in Pommern.

The biography of H. Hoffmann

http://www.artfacts.net/pdf-files/inst/43473_cv.pdf

What happened from 1919 to 1945? :D :D :D

Regars, Maus.
Motörheadbangers Nr 2749
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hi guys :D

Here's an original photo of a Latvian SS guy, apparantly the eagle type tattoo was the
Latvian NSDAP emblem???. (I posted this pic before on another thread!)

The photo was taken after capture and the soldier was being examined by British Army
Doctors, it seems tattoos existed before and during the War but they were mostly black
inked ones in Europe.

Some coloured ones were done in China and far East but were mostly done on sailors etc,
although some pics ive seen of Foreign Legion soldiers wore coloured tattoos in the 20's and
1930's these were probably done in Indochine (now Vietnamn)
(See-below)
Latvian SS man pic 1.jpg
Latvian SS man pic 1.jpg (19.56 KiB) Viewed 10786 times
(close-up)
Latvian SS man pic 2.jpg
Latvian SS man pic 2.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 10793 times
Peiper :wink:
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

Peiper wrote:Hi guys :D

Here's an original photo of a Latvian SS guy, apparantly the eagle type tattoo was the
Latvian NSDAP emblem???. (I posted this pic before on another thread!)

The photo was taken after capture and the soldier was being examined by British Army
Doctors, it seems tattoos existed before and during the War but they were mostly black
inked ones in Europe.

Some coloured ones were done in China and far East but were mostly done on sailors etc,
although some pics ive seen of Foreign Legion soldiers wore coloured tattoos in the 20's and
1930's these were probably done in Indochine (now Vietnamn)
(See-below)
Latvian SS man pic 1.jpg
(close-up)

thanks peiper, i saw this on the other thread as well......the heavy metal names tattood on the guy back is a classic pic.

dieter
Latvian SS man pic 2.jpg
Peiper :wink:
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

Maus_Spain wrote:I,m a tattoo artist and the only thing i can say is that to search tattoos of Herbert Hoffmann a famous german tattoo artist who was born in 1919 in Pommern.

The biography of H. Hoffmann

http://www.artfacts.net/pdf-files/inst/43473_cv.pdf

What happened from 1919 to 1945? :D :D :D

Regars, Maus.

thanks maus, for the herbert hoffman name.......it looks like he has a few book out there as well........pretty pricey books at that.......i will keep my eyes out though

dieter
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Tattoos were not seen in a good light in the TR era sorry to say other that the SS blood type they were classed as somthing gay and undiserables would have . Thats not to say people didnt have them done during the time of the TR
ImageImageImageImageImage
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

i know that not everything in movies is accurate but.........in the movie stalingrad there is a soldat on the train in the beginning of the movie with 2 tattoos on his arm......on my tv, i paused the picture and zoomed in but the only things i could tell was that they were were blue/black and that they were round......can anybody help me out with a still pic of these tattoos?

thanks,

Dieter
Viktor Kauer

Post by Viktor Kauer »

This guy?

Kauer
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

thanks viktor, thats it......does anyone know what theses tattoos are of ?

dieter
Bill Medland

Post by Bill Medland »

The bottom tatoo shows the emblem of "Schalke 04",
a football club based in the heart of the Ruhrgebiet (in Gelsenkrichen).

dbloge

Post by dbloge »

a sports tattoo.....nice......they did mention some sports in the movie

dieter
RudyWerner

Post by RudyWerner »

Willi Klapptisch wrote:The bottom tatoo shows the emblem of "Schalke 04",
a football club based in the heart of the Ruhrgebiet (in Gelsenkrichen).

I think he said in the film he was going to be a soccar player after the war or something, he is the one who gets his legs blown off in the underground tunnels and later dies.
barcid

Post by barcid »

interesting subject a link to Tattoo history site http://www.vanishingtattoo.com/tattoo_museum/index.html there has been disscussion regarding tattoo's in other eras also here at Roman Army Talk http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/index. ... d983a9a070
Hannibal Ad Portas . "War produces many stories of fiction, some of which are told until they become true " U.S.Grant
dbloge

Post by dbloge »

any other tattoo pics out there?

Dieter
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I've obviously looked into this subject as we run a Kriegsmarine group and some of our members have a number of visible tattoos.

I haven't discovered much at all, to be honest. But as a previous poster here stated, they were very much frowned upon in official circles and most Kriegsmariners didn't have them, unlike their RN and USN counterparts, by comparison.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Return to “Anything WWII!”