LW Splinter 2nd model smock

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Andy2

LW Splinter 2nd model smock

Post by Andy2 »

Is anybody making/selling a decent LW Splinter 2nd model/Step-in Smock?

Andy
Hans Gowert

Re: LW Splinter 2nd model smock

Post by Hans Gowert »

Hi andy,

The most obviouse choice would be a Spearhead 2nd run, Type II Splinter pattern smock. They are good for the money , alot of guys do own them.

Gmax in america also do a 2nd pattern step in model but they are alot more expensive, tho the pattern is questionable, they are still nice to own.
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Actually I find, having compared it to originals, the GMAX pattern to be quire accurate. The problem is it is printed in smaller blocks, each block is 1 cm smaller to be precise.
When worn, especially with gear on, it is not that obvious IMO and I do like the colors.
If you compare to the original on the left I think it is not as bad as some say?
Attachments
GMAX 003.jpg
GMAX 003.jpg (130.84 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Because its smaller, it looks very condence and cluttered , thats why i said it was questionable. And plus you simply cant just compare it to an original smock with kit on it so you cant see the complete patterns :)

But we are here to recommend a 2nd pattern smock to this individual :) and ive recommended both Gmax and Spearheads, Loss batallions doesnt make a step in do they ?
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

It's too much work at the moment to fully load the repro it with kit as well as it's all tucked away :)
I was aiming to show the similarities between them and believe me, when fully loaded they look even more so. But in any case we don't disagree that it is condense.

Out of the two, and IF money is not an object, I'd recommend the GMAX for quality and correct (if smaller) pattern and good colors. The added bonus is they are made to the customer's specifications.

No, LB don't make, as far as I know, a splinter step-in. But they have the pattern from their green one and they have the fabric so maybe if they were asked they would do? Maybe a question should also be made to David at panther store.

Cheers
Yannis
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

hmmm, a panther step in !!!!!

GRFJ , do you prefer Gmax old splinter or new splinter ?
Jager Roll

Post by Jager Roll »

I was a bit concerned over the pattern of the GMAX green backed HBT splinter until I researched and saw a few more photos and realized IMO that the pattern is actually pretty good. OF all the different runs, It was explained to me that in the different factories when you made the smocks during the war. a projector was used to display the pattern and the distance of the prodjector determined the size of the patterns. They had regulations on how far the projector was supposed to be but going though several photos and it was also explained to me that factories would still have them at different distances. So variations of the size of the pattern was historically correct. I seriously doubt in the real photos below these FJ demanded thier smock be sent back becasuse the pattern was too small :lol:

and this run looks close to the new GMax
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Hans Gowert wrote:hmmm, a panther step in !!!!!
I always say if one doesn't ask one will never receive :wink: It never hurts to suggest things to producers.

Hans Gowert wrote:GRFJ , do you prefer Gmax old splinter or new splinter ?
In all honesty I am not familiar with their old splinter.
One om my helmet covers was made from some older fabric, so Rob told me. It is too small to really compare but for what it's worth I like the new material and colors more.
Andy2

Post by Andy2 »

Whoa gentlemen, this is all very interesting information - thank you all for the suggestions. That projector business is totally new to me!

I'm trying to convince David of Panther-store to make 2nd Model Splinter smocks but he doesn't seem to be too interested :cry: ...
KB Martinsen

Post by KB Martinsen »

Isn't the one Panther Stores already do a 2nd model? Or does it just look that way, because they've taken the photo with the snaps done up?

http://www.panther-store.cz/katalog-zbo ... cniky/C006
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

KB Martinsen wrote:.. Or does it just look that way, because they've taken the photo with the snaps done up?
Exactly
Andy2

Post by Andy2 »

The one they offer is a 3rd model, the one with the open / button-up leg skirt. If I wear one of those it looks like I'm wearing a huge diaper on my bum :shock:. Didn't that happen to real paras too? The cloth folds funny on your buttocks when you button the legs up!

I have already asked David to do one for me as a closer fitting Step-in/2nd Model as a one-off (using the same fabric) but he won't :cry:
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

It is supposed to look a bit like that, Andy :lol:
The reason is simple, the jump smock was designed to be worn on top of all your gear. so you'd need some room there!

You'd jump off the plane with nothing hanging outside to minimize the risk of anything getting caught in the parachute lines.

*Edited for explanation.
Andy2

Post by Andy2 »

Of course...but the 2nd model doesn't do that, thankfully!

It's just that all that excess cloth folding up behind your legs in 3rd models makes one look funny. To be honest, German para smocks look very cool but do not seem exceptionally practical as a fighting garment to me. After all, in most photos I have seen the Fallschirmjaeger would wear their 3rd models unbuttoned around the legs most of the time. And my repro pryms come unbuttoned all the time anyway :D ...
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Andy2 wrote:. To be honest, German para smocks look very cool but do not seem exceptionally practical as a fighting garment to me. After all, in most photos I have seen the Fallschirmjaeger would wear their 3rd models unbuttoned around the legs most of the time. And my repro pryms come unbuttoned all the time anyway :D ...
Possibly because by mid-late war, many Fallschirmjäger were land-based units ?
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”