find the thread now. (doh!)

As far as i can remember it was a US company if my
memory serves me right lol, as they are illegal to buy
in UK????

Cheers Pipes
Villy Vassel

Re: Gravity Knives ???

Post by Villy Vassel »

I collect Knives , and the law on Gravity knives is a bit of a grey area :| , as a bonafide Reeanactor carrying a knife at an event or owning certain knives is not a problem , but Importing one is a different matter , I know that assisted opening knives are Legal in the UK { not flick knives } also there is a grey area on lock knives , so just be careful and get as much info as you can , like I said being a Reenactor does give us an excuse , but we still have to be careful.
There is a place in the States owned by a Scots Guy . called, ASSISTED KNIVES .COM . OR ROADSIDE IMPORTS .COM . I am sure he could help you Villy :)
Last edited by Villy Vassel on Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

To answer the original question, paratrooper.fr stock them. That's the DMC shop in Normandy :wink:
http://www.paratrooper.fr/fr/pages/prod ... 00&t=cf-37

So, if I have a gravity knife in my suitcase and travel to the UK for an event would that mean trouble?
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

You certainly would, copied part of feldjagers explanation from a previous thread here.

A person selling a gravity knife is committing an offense by merely advertising it as this is contrary to section 1(1) of the Restriction of Offensive Weapons Act 1959 (as amended by the 1961 Act):

"1. Any person who manufactures, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, or exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire or lends or gives to any other person—(a)any knife which has a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, sometimes known as a “flick knife” or “flick gun”; or
(b)any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force and which, when released, is locked in place by means of a button, spring, lever, or other device, sometimes known as a “gravity knife”,
shall be guilty of an offence..."

There are no defences for the above with regards to re-enactment. Possession is dealt with under s.139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988.

Offence of having article with blade or point in public place .(1)
Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence. .
(2)
Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife. .
(3)
This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches. .
(4)
It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place. .
(5)
Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him— .
(a)
for use at work; .
(b)
for religious reasons; or .
(c)
as part of any national costume. .
(6)
A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale. .
(7)
In this section “public place” includes any place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on payment or otherwise. .(8)
This section shall not have effect in relation to anything done before it comes into force.

Offensive weapons .(1)
Any person who manufactures, sells or hires or offers for sale or hire, exposes or has in his possession for the purpose of sale or hire, or lends or gives to any other person, a weapon to which this section applies shall be guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both. .
(2)
The Secretary of State may by order made by statutory instrument direct that this section shall apply to any description of weapon specified in the order except— .
(a)
any weapon subject to the [1968 c. 27.] Firearms Act 1968; and .
(b)
crossbows. .
(3)
A statutory instrument containing an order under this section shall not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before Parliament and has been approved by a resolution of each House of Parliament. .
(4)
The importation of a weapon to which this section applies is hereby prohibited. .(5)
It shall be a defence for any person charged in respect of any conduct of his relating to a weapon to which this section applies— .
(a)
with an offence under subsection (1) above; or .
(b)
with an offence under section 50(2) or (3) of the [1979 c. 2.] Customs and Excise Management Act 1979 (improper importation), .
to prove that his conduct was only for the purposes of functions carried out on behalf of the Crown or of a visiting force.
(6)
In this section the reference to the Crown includes the Crown in right of Her Majesty’s Government in Northern Ireland; and .
“visiting force” means any body, contingent or detachment of the forces of a country—
(a)
mentioned in subsection (1)(a) of section 1 of the [1952 c. 67.] Visiting Forces Act 1952; or .
(b)
designated for the purposes of any provision of that Act by Order in Council under subsection (2) of that section, .
which is present in the United Kingdom (including United Kingdom territorial waters) or in any place to which subsection (7) below applies on the invitation of Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom.
(7)
This subsection applies to any place on, under or above an installation in a designated area within the meaning of section 1(7) of the [1964 c. 29.] Continental Shelf Act 1964 or any waters within 500 metres of such an installation. .
(8)
It shall be a defence for any person charged in respect of any conduct of his relating to a weapon to which this section applies— .
(a)
with an offence under subsection (1) above; or .
(b)
with an offence under section 50(2) or (3) of the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979, .
to prove that the conduct in question was only for the purposes of making the weapon available to a museum or gallery to which this subsection applies.
(9)
If a person acting on behalf of a museum or gallery to which subsection (8) above applies is charged with hiring or lending a weapon to which this section applies, it shall be a defence for him to prove that he had reasonable grounds for believing that the person to whom he lent or hired it would use it only for cultural, artistic or educational purposes. .
(10)
Subsection (8) above applies to a museum or gallery only if it does not distribute profits. .
(11)
In this section “museum or gallery” includes any institution which has as its purpose, or one of its purposes, the preservation, display and interpretation of material of historical, artistic or scientific interest and gives the public access to it. .
(12)
This section shall not have effect in relation to anything done before it comes into force. .
(13)
In the application of this section to Northern Ireland the reference in subsection (2) above to the [1968 c. 27.] Firearms Act 1968 shall be construed as a reference to the [S.I. 1981/155 (N.I. 2).] Firearms (Northern Ireland) Order 1981.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gruss gott kameraden :D
Have found the Gravity knife or "Kappmesser", the dealer is "Lost Battalions" in the US,
from the pics it looks spot on as i used to own an original many years ago so i know,
anyway my next problem is how to get one to the UK?? lol lol.
(see below)
GravKnife.jpg
GravKnife.jpg (55.93 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
Pipes :wink:
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

there illegal in the UK peiper ,
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

Why not go over to the USA yourself, buy one and put it in your pocket before you get on the plane, that way the Yanks can have some fun thinking you are a terrorist, and you may learn a lesson.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hans Gowert wrote:there illegal in the UK peiper ,
I know kamerad, if i get one i'll have to keep it well hidden,
heh heh, that's what happened to my other one :oops: lol

Pipes
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Crazy Feldgendarme wrote:Why not go over to the USA yourself, buy one and put it in your pocket before you get on the plane, that way the Yanks can have some fun thinking you are a terrorist, and you may learn a lesson.
Thanks for that F-G, is that a subtle hint, lol lol
or just a way of getting rid of me :lol:
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Peiper wrote:
Hans Gowert wrote:there illegal in the UK peiper ,
I know kamerad, if i get one i'll have to keep it well hidden,
heh heh, that's what happened to my other one :oops: lol

Pipes

i hope the police saves that quote for future reference :)
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I've seen post war Bund gravity knives for sale on trader stalls, I think around the £10-£15 price range. Usually the trader will tell you it doesn't work...
I plan to get one, remove the blade (very easily done) remove the green plastic grips and work on a wood version.

As far as I can understand the law, with no blade, no problem!

Regards,

Gary.
Last edited by Jaws on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Jaws wrote:I've seen post war Bund gravity knives for sale on trader stalls, I think around the £10-£15 price range. Usually the trader will tell you it doesn't work...
I plan to get one, remove the blade (very easily done) remove the green plastic grips and work on a wood version.

Regards,

Gary.

no point having one, you might aswell just have the lanyard going into the pocket and thats it
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Hans Gowert wrote:
Jaws wrote:I've seen post war Bund gravity knives for sale on trader stalls, I think around the £10-£15 price range. Usually the trader will tell you it doesn't work...

Regards,

Gary.

no point having one, you might aswell just have the lanyard going into the pocket and thats it
I do that as well. (A parachute line)

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Thanks for the detailed response on the law Feldgendarme!

So, I take it nobody carries one in reenactments? (ok, I'm guessing this is a silly question any way one looks at it :lol: )
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

GRFJ wrote:
So, I take it nobody carries one in reenactments? )

ofcourse not officer :) :) :)

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”