The weirdist place you have ever bought kit from.

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
dieter

The weirdist place you have ever bought kit from.

Post by dieter »

Hi all

have just had the most serial experince.

yeasterday i sore an ad in my local rag for a couple of de-act,s for a sale. so i gave the person a bell as you do, and said i was intrested. and asked if i could see them, so i made a arrangemnt to go around to this persons house this moring,

so this morning i'v got up and me and a mate went around to this house. from the oustside it looks like a normal terraced house, how wrong were we. after knocking, a 6ft 4inch transvestite (and not a very good one) answers the door, and introduces its self as ruth, and leads as through the house that is a virtural torture chamber, whips, lashes, cages you name it he/she had it, me and my bud are obvously feeling a bit put out, so she show's as the de-acts nothing great an AK 47 and a lee enfield no 4, and this ruth terns and says do you want them as i have my first client coming around in ten minutes, yes i said instantly, gave her the cash and we were off as fast as lighting,

so today was really a new one.

so were the weirdest place/person you have ever bought kit from

cheers

scott
ein volk, ein reich, ein ME????

schuetze Dieter Kuemmel
65ste nachrichtan abteilung / 85ste Gebirgsjager regt
(aka Scott Davies, aka oi you! yeah you!)
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Wow. I think people will have a hard time beating that one.

The only weird place I ever bought kit was from a fellow I met at a military timeline event - did an earlier time period but said he used to do World War II and used to be in the Air Force and has a bunch of stuff he wants to sell.

So me and a friend drove out to his house and were let loose in the basement which consisted of quite literally piles and boxes o' stuff that nobody had looked at in some time. We spent the better part of the day there and also came back for a return trip.

He had a lot of Desert Storm items that he'd shipped home from Desert Storm where he'd apparently spent a lot of time dumpster-diving. All the stuff he sent home was in the boxes he sent it home in - he'd never even opened them after shipping all the junk home. Had some interesting stuff in that, too.

(And before someone asks, yes, we do a Desert Storm display.)
Jim

Post by Jim »

I have no story of weird purchases but i was once in Kompanie 1.
And boy i could tell a tale or two.
SWB
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

Well what's stopping you??

:lol: :lol:
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I once went to a very large field in Kent. It was absolutely full of stalls with strange stuff including rusty things and big lumps of metal. All manner of people were wandering around. Some were dressed in old uniforms, Some in army surplus and some in a mixture of both. Whilst others were in fairly normal clothes.... I bought a few bits but boy - I think all the world's hygenically challenged were there alongside a fair few care in the community candidates.
I've never been anywhere as weird since.

It was at a place called Paddock Wood - Some of you might have heard about it?
2ad82recon

Never

Post by 2ad82recon »

Never go there mate place is full of Land rovers and rastafarian HumVees....no bargains to be had there...... :wink:

Cheers

Lloyd
Dont Draw Fire......It tends to irritate the people around you
ringer

Post by ringer »

[quote="Pug42"]Well what's stopping you??

Either because he was in for 6/7 years or because he is a gent ........and David you are more interested in idle gossip than some women I know ........ tut tut Sir .
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I'm quite interested in idle women....... :shock:
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Wow, Scott, I think Chris is right.. that will certainly be a hard one to beat!! The strangest place for me was a militaria shop in Tampa when I lived there. This shop owner guy was about 6'5", had remnants of a South African accent and was rumored to have a steel plate in his head. He used to tell all manner of stories about his time in the services and about being a mercenary. He'd told so many stories to so many of us that no one ever knew the truth. I truly did pity the man because he had obvious issues.

There were many times that fellow reenactors reported going in there and catching him without his trousers on and other times where he was "busy" with himself as well. He often ate peanut butter out of the jar with a knife, but would politely offer you a lick off the same knife. Needless to say the man was a bit "off".

Well, he adored me for some reason and everytime I went in he practically devoured my arm as he kissed my hand then went up my arm. It didn't matter if I was in there with a mate or boyfriend either. I made the mistake of going in there once alone and he did the arm thing AGAIN but added a few things, like following me all around the shop and making suggestive comments. Then there were all the comments about him doing exotic dancing in the back room and at his apartment for women for money. THEN he insisted on raising his shirt so I could see his less than desirable (to me) physique!! Talk about completely creeped out!! I always tried to be pleasant and smile and joke back, but I definitely never went in there alone anymore. Normally I could handle any and all of that and just get on with it, but this man was a giant compared to me and a nutter ta boot!!

Kelly
'Guns for show, knives for a pro'

Kelly McKeel - Facebook me!
DRK Nurse - Heidi Stöckel
Helferinnen- Heidi Stöckel
Sgt ATS
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

There's a place back home that sells blank-firers, only I've never been able to gear myself up towards going in because... well... you've seen Pulp Fiction, right? The guy who runs the pawn shop IS THE SPITTING IMAGE of the guy who runs this place :shock:

Add to the mix the fact that it has a curious speciality in "cowboy costumery" and there's always a lot of chunky blokes in jeans hanging about outside... I don't think any B/F window-shopping is worth that ordeal :lol:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Oh my!
I can hear it now
"Git the Gimp out!" :shock:

There is no Me and You.......................
Kolya

Post by Kolya »

And imagine searching the shelves for retribution-dealing weapons...

"FJ gravity-knife.... P-38... MP40.... MG42? YES!"
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

A friend of mine who reenacts WW1 bought a Vickers MMG off a strange old man in Manchester who had dug a section of western front trench in his garage. The old guy also self-deactivated Mills bombs with a bunsen burner and a bayonet (sorry, no further details) in a shed in his back garden.
Against that, all of my purchases have been disappointingly normal.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Wilder Feger wrote:
Well, he adored me for some reason
It's very easily done, Kel! :wink:

Strangely enough Paul, I've occasionally bought some stuff from a very weird place in a hangar at an old shipyard in southern England.

Even weirder, some fellow buyers walk around wearing old soviet odds & ends and speak in a 'pigeon' post-war eastern bloc dialect (very strange indeed!)
Last edited by Schäfer on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Return to “Anything WWII!”