City Woman or Country Girl?

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

axis sally

City Woman or Country Girl?

Post by axis sally »

"The fashion orientated city woman went for the french fashion, while the small town Mrs Average went by the way the NSDAP indoctrinated onto her, party uniform and Dirndl, were the ideal clothing for a German woman in the party´s view" I read in a book by Klaus Jörg Ruhl titled Brauner Alltag.

During further research I came across the following newspaper excerpts:

Frankfurter Zeitung 1st June 1937

In a meeting of the NSDAP, SS-Obergruppenführer Jeckeln held a talk against the "Blondheitsfimmel" ( craze for being blonde ). Blonde hair and blue eyes are no evidence that one belongs to the nordic race. A girl that wants to marry a SS-man, has to be without a mark nowadays. That is why the "Reichssportabzeichen" is demanded of her. Some might not be able to understand that request at the moment though. But Germany can do without women that can dance nicely at five-o ´clock-teas. Instead women are needed that prove their physical health through a sports achievement. And to become healthy, a javelin or doing pole vaulting do a better job than a lipstick.

Frankfurter Zeitung 22nd August 1933

The Polizeipräsident of Erfurt ordered the owners of pubs, cafés and so on, to put up signs saying "Women are requested not to smoke!"

Schlesische Tageszeitung 7th August 1933

The Kreisleitung of Breslau announces, that women wearing make-up will not be admitted to any of the NSDAP meetings.

Well Ladies, make your choice....city woman or country girl?

Liebe Grüße,
Beate
gremlina

Post by gremlina »

There is a very intresting book on this subject matter called "Nazi Chic: Fashioning Women in the Third Reich" by Irene Guenther. It discusses fashion before the war as well as the Nazi ideal and clothing rationing etc etc.
axis sally

Post by axis sally »

Stacey,

could you post the ISBN number, makes it easier to find :wink:

And thank you for the recommendation!

Liebe Grüße,
Beate
FJ_Gefreiter

ISBN

Post by FJ_Gefreiter »

Sally,

here's the ISBN number: 185973717-X
Gefreiter Gerhardt Weiß
Traditionskompanie
Fallschirmjager Regiment 6
Feldgendarme
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Well, being a regular visitor to Bavaria, particularly the more rural regions, I do like to see Dirndl's on German women :wink:

However, speaking to my female tutor when I was doing German evening classes last year (she was from Berlin, incidentally) she reckoned most German women wouldn't be seen dead in them.

What do you say Beate?
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

axis sally

Post by axis sally »

Kevin,

I think the "Balkonett Dirndl" are very sexy and give a woman a nice bust. So watch out at Detling, you might see my bust first, before looking into my eyes :wink:

Liebe Grüße,
Beate
gremlina

Post by gremlina »

I like the dirndls.. hehe. But then I'm not German and I've never worn one. :-) I'd like to get one though while I'm here in Germany. :-)
Like you said..I think some of them can be sexy as there are different styles.. hehe..
bee

Post by bee »

Oh mein Gott...

I think I'd rather stick to the battling dress, it is much easier, fits my hairstyle and I dont need other maekup than dirt...
bee.
--
the greatest pet i had was a flat rat.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

axis sally wrote:Kevin,

I think the "Balkonett Dirndl" are very sexy and give a woman a nice bust. So watch out at Detling, you might see my bust first, before looking into my eyes :wink:

Liebe Grüße,
Beate
Beate, you're a woman after my own heart!

Anyway, who said I'd even be looking into your eyes? :wink:
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”