Hello Gentlemen & Forum Users

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

SchnellMeyer

Hello Gentlemen & Forum Users

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hello All , I must have been a very bad boy as Uncle Alex has just made me the Moderator on this topic.
Ok , enough crying and lets get down to business .This super topic on the DAK seems to be getting very little support and postings , so why dont we kick arse and get things up and running .After all the DAK was commanded by one if not the best of all German Commanders in WW2 , FM Erwin Rommel .
I am waiting for yer posts gentlemen & ladies .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
mario33

Re: Hello Gentlemen & Forum Users

Post by mario33 »

SchnellMeyer wrote:After all the DAK was commanded by one if not the best of all German Commanders in WW2 , FM Erwin Rommel
One of the best - true. The best - arguably ;) Cant compare with Guderian or Dietl as situation different. Anyway, one of the elite... Surprisingly enough he learned his trade with 1WW Gebirgsjager... He xcelled on the Western Front, but on the Ostfront mostly anonymous.

I tried to start some discussions - hope 'em spread.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Pietje

Post by Pietje »

This super topic on the DAK seems to be getting very little support and postings
That is correct as it is only running for 4 day's... 8) Till that moment people have posted all sort of questions about DAK and tropical uniforms, insignia en equipment on other sub-forums.... Maybe its an idea to move all related questions about DAK/tropical stuff posted before the weekend to this DAK forum section, but I think you need the help of the other moderators on Pst! to do this...
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Hello Mario33 and Pietje , many thanks men for your support and posts . Hopefully with your help , knowledge and posts we can help build up this topic .Let face it guys the DAK were special and achieved ever lasting fame in North Afrika . I will post up some nice photos in the next day or so , but in the mean time please get some threads going , thanks.

re-enactment group
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

Right then,why did the Germans not capture Malta as it was a right pain in the arse for the DAK suply ships etc?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ALL SINGING,ALL MARCHING S.B.G.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Gren Broich wrote:Right then,why did the Germans not capture Malta as it was a right pain in the arse for the DAK suply ships etc?
Because they had doubts about the Italian forces earmarked to take part in the invasion.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

And boy were there doubts proven right !!! Not too well up on the Afrika scene but i do believe that the DAK were sent to Afrika to help the Italian Forces in the first place . What a waste of good German men that could have been put to good use else where.

re-enactment group
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

Well ok,but why did they not just use German troops instead? Do it like Crete,capture an airfield and take it from there.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

Gren Broich wrote:Well ok,but why did they not just use German troops instead? Do it like Crete,capture an airfield and take it from there.
The invasion of Russia was underway by then I beleive, so manpower was at a premium.
Gren Broich

Post by Gren Broich »

Ah yes,Russia,the big mistake.
paulmfjr2

Post by paulmfjr2 »

SchnellMeyer wrote:And boy were there doubts proven right !!! Not too well up on the Afrika scene but i do believe that the DAK were sent to Afrika to help the Italian Forces in the first place . What a waste of good German men that could have been put to good use else where.
I think that was also the reason the Germans went into Greece as the Italians were supposed to invade but got pushed back by the Greek forces, Germany diverted troops to Greece instead of using them to invade Russia. If the Italians had done the job on thereown the attack on Russia would have been alot sooner, and may well have succeeded because of this.
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

SWEET, a DAK section! Thanks! :D
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Thanks Krupp for dropping in .Please feel free to post when yoou can .

re-enactment group
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

NO, thank you. I've always had a liking for the DAK and the whole Africa scene since I was little (about 11 years old) but as far as reenacting goes there are no units up my way doing that, so I pretty much have been a Foreign volunteer of the Wehrmacht or SS for 5 years. Anyway, I'm putting together a second impression and is about 95% complete. It's a soldat from the Freies Arabien, so that should do well at events with the public. Hope to show some pics in the future. :oops:
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Ah go on my dear Krupp , you are well able to post .Would be great to see some photos in the near future .

re-enactment group

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”